Tuesday, February 16, 2016

A little about my journey

              GOOD DAY ALL...
      I would like to start off by giving some background about my own natural hair journey. This is my third year on this natural journey to waist length hair, or so that was the way I heard about this endeavor . the theory behind this is for black women to love and appreciate there own natural hair. black women have abused and damaged there hair for so many years. Putting chemicals and heat to our hair in the hopes of making it look more like white women's hair. The idea is that growing and wearing your own hair will give our culture a sense of empowerment not to mention letting our own hair grow.
      Now all that sounds good but honestly me becoming natural was not a choice. My hair had been damaged for so long with heat, chemicals and my diabetic meds, my hair was lifeless and falling out. I HAD NO CHOICE!! So I did what is known as a "big chop" which simply means you cut off all your hair and start from scratch. Devastating, but very necessary in order to began a healthy new start. In the beginning I spent a lot of time reading up on how to care for my own hair and what products worked best. I also spent a lot of money experimenting with different products. I'm a product junky anyway so believe me when I tell you I spent a lot!!
      The first thing you should know is that not everyone's hair grows at the same rate. You have to learn to be patience. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with all those interested in the hopes that they have a smoother transition to natural hair.        

2 comments:

  1. Samantha,

    I enjoyed reading your post! I am a white woman who was blessed with well-tamed hair. I am very grateful for this fact. I enjoyed reading your blog post because I have a friend named Ciji who has been very open about her experience with going natural.She is a beautiful black woman who chemically straightened her hair throughout her entire childhood and teenage years. About two years ago she did the "big chop" and cut all of her hair off - I cannot imagine doing this - that would seriously take some guts. I have enjoyed watching her confidence grow with her hair. She now has long beautifully natural hair that she takes pride in. I enjoy seeing a friend happy and her natural hair has been something to celebrate.

    Thank you for your post! I look forward to reading the next one!

    -Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Katherine, An yes it takes guts an a little Vodka wouldn't hurt. But it is worth it! My best friend is a white women an she has been through this journey with me as well. It's nice to have some support!!

    ReplyDelete